Elder Call

Elder Call
Off to the MTC

Monday, July 27, 2009

Tallahassee Community College - Week 5

Hello Y'all
Sorry this letter is late. Our schedule today is a little backwards, but we did get to go play hockey. Roller hockey, they have no ice in Florida.
This week was soooo much better than the last week. We found this kid named Alex on TCC. He was very nice and talked with us for a while. We find out that he has talked with the missionaries before us and knows a lot about the church and the book of mormon. We decided to look up his teaching records, and it turns out he had a Baptismal date last November!! We looked at the history and he was taught everything, right up until his baptismal date, but two days before he feel off the face of the earth. Or so the other Elders put it when they couldn't contact him any more. We found out that he has a problem with Brigham Young and the Mountain Meadow Massacre. He also thinks that Brigham Young is an egotistical freak who was seeking power and taking out anyone who got in his way. His Girlfriend is R-LDS so that might have something to do with it. We're teaching him on wednesday and we'll see how that goes.
Rachel got Baptized on Saturday!! The day finally came. She was interviewed by our Mission President on tuesday and qualified for baptism. (I'll talk about Pres later) She was very excited and we told her everything she needed for baptism and that she could invite everyone. She was really excited. She told us who should be in the program, who she wanted to Baptize her (Elder Merkley) and who she wanted to confirm her (Elder Krieser), and that she wanted it to be at 4 on saturday. Well, saturday morning came and the Sisters gave her a call to check up on her and to ask if she would need any help. Turns out she taught the Baptism was at 6 instead of 4. I'm not sure where the communication went wrong on that one, but we got it straightened out and everything went fine. Hillary, her friend was there for the Baptism as well. We think we might try to get her a baptism date this week. Rachel is now a member and we get to teach her on tuesday.
Ok. Time for Pres. After he interviewed Rachel he came out and gave his usual
greetings, then told Elder Krieser and me to step it up in tracting. He said
that members had seen us and were questioning out companionship. It just so
happens that the other day I sent him an e-mail about our lack of hard work. I also told him I didn't know what to do since Elder Krieser is my trainer and I'm supposed to follow him. President was all over it and made up the story about other members to give us a spark. We went tracting that night and almost every night until saturday. We found so many people this week it was awesome. 10 new investigators to our previous 3. We didn't find them all from tracting, but by getting it into our mind to work hard, we were able to be successful in finding people in many areas. We have a lot of return appointments (most fall through) and some new ways to find more people who are ready. We're starting a 'scripture study' on TCC. We are using the time we usually spent with Rachel on Tuesdays and Thursdays and while keeping it permanent, we are inviting all on TCC who are members to join and bring their friends. There's not a lot, but we have one new investigator who is coming on tuesday already. It seems like missionary work picks up when you start to pick your work up. It feels so good and I love it.
I don't think it would be a good idea to go after my companion mom. He's not
that bad, just not motivated like I am. If we get put together for another
transfer it'll be okay. I'm no longer a youngin' and he's no longer my trainer. It'll be two missionaries working together, and I'm going to try some new tactics to make our work ethic increase. It'll be a lot better than our first six weeks.
Anyways, I'm glad y'all had fun in Sunny California. I'm in Sunny Florida. Its been so hot lately. We walk outside and start sweating. I'm almost used to having my shirt stuck against my back all day. Its when I forget my 'sweat rag' that makes the day miserable.
I didn't know it was Nates Farewell!! ugh, I'm going to have to wear my tie
tomorrow just for him. Has Cam turned in his papers? How is Clark? Is he still in Virgina?
One more thing. How is my i-pod coming. :) haha. We are aloud to listen to a
wide variety of music. If its instrumental, Disney, EFY, Hymns and any thing
else worthy. I really like 'goofy movie' for my morning workouts. We have a CD with a few songs on it. Every morning at 6:30 'Stand Out' starts playing. Its awesome!!
I love y'all and I hope you are doing ok.
Love Elder Call.

1 comment: