Elder Call

Elder Call
Off to the MTC

Monday, July 13, 2009

Tallahassee Community College - Week 3

Hello family and friends,
This week was so much better than the last two. Rachel is getting ready to be baptized. We're teaching her friend Hillary the Restoration, we have two more investigators, Vanessa and Mary and we sent Emily over to the FSU Sister Missionaries. First Rachel.
She is having a hard time with the Word of Wisdom. She know that all this is true and she has seen what it can do for her life and she wants it. She is excited to be baptized, but she is going to have a rough week. She is trying to quit smoking and drinking while studying and taking finals. Yeah, that's going to be tough. She told us that she would try to quit after finals, but we decided it would be better if she quit now. She didn't know how to feel about it or if she wanted to. This is where the cool stuff kicks in.
Have you ever a conversation where you start saying something else? Something that you never recognized before or even thought of before? Yeah, that's the Holy Ghost kicking in and at about this time it really came in. I started promising blessings to her. Blessings I've never seen or thougtht about. I read with her D&C 121 about Liberty Jail and promised her that if she could make it these two weeks until her baptism she would do well on her finals. That she wouldn't have to worry about if she needed another cigarette while she studied. That if she followed the commandments she would taste of Eternal Life and the heavens would open themselves and bless her. That's quite a blessing froma 19-year-old-boy. But I have complete faith that she will do it and be blessed. Hillary is Rachel's friend. We just got done teaching her the Restoration about an hour ago and promised her that if she read the chapters we gave her and sincerely prayed about it, she would come to know for herself that these things are true AND she would taste of the blessings to come.
Vanessa is a girl we met on campus. She is a freshman and lives at the Homeless shelter. She wanted to come to church, but she felt like she needed to study a little more before she would feel comfortable. We gave her a Book of Mormon and set up a time to meet again. She read the chapters, but forgot to meet us for our meeting. We're going to meet with her tonight. Hopefully all goes well. Mary is a girl we tracted into last week. She knows about the church and actually went to church with one of her friends in the Tally 2nd Ward. She has never read the Book of Mormon though, so we gave her one and we are meeting with her tonight too. She has a background with the church. One of her best friends is a member and she grew up with Mary. So if we could get her friend to come to the lesson and get her to read? Oh! that would be awesome!
Emily is not progressing. Well at least not with us. We are sending her to the FSU sister missionaries to hopefully help Emily progress more. She is a great person and loves the Book of Mormon and coming to church, but she just won't open up to us and tell us what she's thinking. We feel she'll be more comfortable with the sisters.
Me and my companion are getting along a lot better. I'm not exactly sure what changed, but to be honest, I don't care. We're really moving now and finding a lot of people to teach. We ask everyone for referrals and when we tract we usually can find one or two people who will listen. Not everyone shows up to the appointments, but every person we talk to gives us hope. This week we found 8 g'ators.
I'm sorry your California trip isn't going to be the same without the best looking member of the Family. You'll just have to do without me. ;) I'm glad Grandma is doing good and feeling better. To be honest, I'm not really startled. If my companion can walk away from getting hit by a taxi, Grandma is tough enough to walk away from a car crash. ;D
I haven't figured out how to send pictures home yet. When I go to Wal-Mart this week I'll see what I can do.
When does Erik leave? get there? Can I get his address or e-mail?
When is Nate's farewell? I need to wear my tie.
Megan..... why in the world are you in my ship? You know I'm skilled enough to take you out even when I'm out manned. There's no way I'll loose. I'll send you the results this week.
I love you all and pray for you often.
Elder Call

No comments:

Post a Comment