Elder Call

Elder Call
Off to the MTC

Monday, January 4, 2010

New Year - Small and Simple Things

Hello Everyone,
Another week has gone by. Another year has gone by. As I look back on both I see gaps. I see what I could have done to change the circumstances. Little things that if I had listened and followed would have made me a better person. So that is my goal for the New Year. Make everyday count. Not the week, not the month, not the transfer, not the year, but everyday. I am working on the small and simple things. I feel sorry for those of you who are reading this and not on a mission. I'll explain why.
Distractions - Well that's all the explanation you really need. There are so many distractions out there you forget to do the little things. The little things that if not done seem insignificant, but later down the road lead to wrong paths and hurtful returnings. Being a missionary, it's easier to focus on the little, because I have no idea what the big is. I study because its part of my daily routine. I read the scriptures because I have nothing else to read. I pray because I have no other way to get strength to accomplish the tasks in front of me. I do the little things because I have nothing else to do. No Tv, no computer, no movies, no sports, no homework, no work, no friends, no family, no social life, nothing that seems insignificant, but when looked on from the grand scheme of things leads us down the wrong path. I feel bad for those not on a mission. You may feel bad that I'm on a mission and that I am separated from the things I once loved. However, wickedness never was happiness. You may not think that School, Family and Work is wickedness. I feel the same way, however, when we are so consumed in either one of these that we forget our place and our responsibility; our calling and our devotion to the Lord; we lose sight of what is really important and fail to accomplish the little things.
I met a wonderful woman the other day. She is a convert to the church, was married in the temple, has two wonderful sons who have served faithful missions and have a family of their own, lives on a farm, is now the current Relief Society President and over the course of her entire life has never missed a month to visit teach. OVER 50 YEARS of perfect, 100%, flawless visiting teaching. She understood the little things, and because she understood it she had a testimony that could and does shake the very foundation of Hell. All because she knew that the little things in this life matter. Distractions are everywhere. As a missionary I don't have to see a lot of them, but those who aren't on a mission with me right now are finding distractions everyday. They are not bad and in most cases necessary, but do they take up your time so you don't read your scriptures; you don't pray; you don't do your home/visiting teaching; you don't magnify your calling; you don't build your home in righteousness with family scripture study, family prayer and family home evening. These are, along with so many others, the small things that give us strength, power, wisdom and blessings. So that when the fiery darts of the adversary come upon us, they will have no effect because of the foundation you have built. Every step is a pebble on your foundation, a brush stroke on your canvass. I love you and pray that one of your resolutions is to Remember the Small and Simple things.
Love Elder Call

No comments:

Post a Comment