Elder Call

Elder Call
Off to the MTC

Monday, December 28, 2009

Christmas #2

Hey Ya'll,
I had the wonderful opportunity to talk to a great family this week. A family who is very supportive of each other and they are willing to forgive each other of their weaknesses. ;) I love this family and their drive to do good continually. To be the best that they can be always, so that they can feel His spirit always. I love my family. Thank you for answering the phone when I called (I forgot to tell them).
Christmas was a great time. The day after Christmas was better. We had a great morning filled with eggs, bacon, cinnamon rolls, Christmas movies, capture the chalk (we had no flags) and laughter felt by everyone. We had our investigators Junior, Legina, Lenora, Jessica and all of their family (about 22 people) over at Sis Carter's home for an after Christmas party. Elder Brian and I provided ALL of the food, games and presents. It was great to see their faces when we knocked on their door that morning to invite them to walk with us. When they saw the food that we had for them and the gifts we had for their children.
After a hearty breakfast made by Elder Brian and Sis Carter, we took the kids outside to play. The Lord was on our side and it was a beautiful day to be outside. Sunshine and 70 degrees. The kids began to play steal the flag. No one knew how to play, so I had to teach them. After a disastrous first try, they played again. The parents, Junior and Legina, decided to play this time. The game went much longer and much more organized as the adults attempted to out scheme(SP?) each other. It was great to watch them play and enjoy some time outside.
After all was said and done it was time to go home. We walked them home and said our goodbyes. We had to walk back with Sis Carter to help her clean her home. We finished and sat on the couch exhausted from our work. We were talking to Sis Carter when the phone rang. It was her son. He was going to come by and pick up a few items he had left and to say hi to her. Background on her son, they don't have a good relationship, if they even have a relationship. Either way Elder Brian and I congratulated her on receiving a tender mercy from the Lord and a blessing for helping another family. She didn't see it as such. "He isn't coming for me, it’s just for his stuff." A little confused at how someone could turn away from a tender mercy, the phone rang again. It was her son, he didn't like the idea of only staying for a small moment, so he said he wasn't coming, but that he would come tomorrow and see her for an hour or so. Again Elder Brian and I tried to show her that her tender mercy just got bigger. She didn't think so, "He's not coming for me, he has to work and is just going to say Hi." I couldn't believe it. There was a blessing looking at her in the face, jumping up and down, yelling "look at me!" and she didn't even notice it. I don't know what she was expecting. If Jesus Christ came down and said "I'm here to heal your sins and forgive you," she might say "No, you're just here because you have to be." I hope and pray that I'm not like that, I hope and pray that none of you are like that.
It's so sad that she couldn't see the blessings in her life. She could only see the bad. She says she believes in Christ, she reads her scriptures, goes to church, fulfills her calling, but she won't let the Enabling Power of the Atonement come into her life. She won't let herself be healed and its sad to see it.
But other than that my week has been great!! It’s the New Year, which means next Christmas I'll only have 6 months. Weird. Time flies when you're having fun, right? I love you all and hope you have a happy safe New Year. Try to come up with a new goal for the year, mine is to finish the Bible. Couple chapters a day and I'll have it in the bag. haha
Love Elder Call

No comments:

Post a Comment