Elder Call

Elder Call
Off to the MTC

Monday, October 19, 2009

It's Cold!!!!!!

Hey Everybody,
What in the World Happened!?! Overnight it got really cold in Florida. I didn't know that could happen. Of course its not as cold as Utah, but me without a long sleeve shirt or a sweatshirt its really cold. We played Ultimate Frisbee on Saturday and I could see my breath for most of the morning. Then later that night the sun went down and it got even colder. Our apartment was freezing and I had to turn on the heater it was so cold. So this letter is sort of a plea. Can you send me a long sleeve shirt and a sweatshirt? I would buy a FSU sweatshirt, but they cost $30. I guess if it’s cheaper that way I can do it. Just let me know ASAP. :)
This week overall was better. It still had its ups and downs, but I was able to see a lot of improvement. This week my main focus was on retaining. There are two recent converts who are really struggling. Dallas and Rachel. Dallas was baptized last December, but right now he is working 3 jobs, trying to build a relationship with his daughter and the daughter’s mother, and trying to pay off all of his debt. It’s been really hard on him and he hasn't been to church for a while. We met with him this week and told him to make goals. Goals that would help him find financial, spiritual and social stability. Elder Perkins and I are making goals too. Mine is to Finish the Doctrine and Covenants by Thanksgiving and write in my journal every night until Thanksgiving (I'm not very diligent in writing every night). We are going to meet him tomorrow or on Wednesday to help him make his goals.
Rachel has probably been the craziest. She moved out of her parents house to an apartment that is really close to the church and to TCC. We were able to go over here on Monday and visit with her. We picked her up on Friday with her home teacher and took her to Friday Forum. She was looking great and really happy to be there, but on Saturday everything went south. She got robbed. We think it was one of her roommates. They got into her safe and got her card. They withdrew about $200. She moved out that night and is back with her parents. This is good and bad. Good because she is no longer in that environment with those roommates, bad because she is now living with her parents. It’s not that her parents are bad or don't support her, but it’s the fact that they live waaaaaayy out in the middle of know-where. Technically they live outside of Tallahassee City Limits on the other side of town. If you don't know how big Tallahassee is, it’s about the size of half of Salt Lake County. It’s HUGE!! It took us 45 min to get to her house the first time, by car. By bike, we should have started yesterday.
She didn't come to church this week and hasn't been for a while. We tried to
contact her, but she wouldn't answer. We were going to go visit her at her
parent’s house, but she wouldn't answer our calls so we weren't sure if she would be there. Elder Merkley, who was the one who baptized her, called us last night. Apparently she called him and left a very upsetting message. She was crying and trying to contact him. The sisters told us that Rachel told them that she would travel to Dothan to get a blessing from Elder Merkley. I know this story doesn't really make sense, but I'm trying to fit all the pieces in myself. I hope she's ok.
Hilary is doing great! She is going to get baptized! We haven't set a date, but she has expressed the desire to be baptized. She says she would like to talk to her dad and get his support first. We are hoping that she will talk with him this weekend so we can set a real baptismal date.
Heath is getting baptized this weekend! What a great way to end a transfer. With a baptism. :) He is very ready to get baptized and has been asking a lot of questions about dating, marriage and the Temple. He is definitely looking beyond just baptism. He is preparing to endure to the end. :) Oh, by the way, I get to perform the baptism. My first one. Hopefully I don't screw it up. Its only necessary for salvation. haha
Well I love you all. Thanks mom for the Newsletter. I love hearing from the boys!
Love ya'll
Elder Call

No comments:

Post a Comment