Elder Call

Elder Call
Off to the MTC

Monday, June 21, 2010

Happy Father's Day!

Happy Fathers Day!!!

Yesterday was such a classic day. We went to church and didn't hear a thing about Fathers day. NOT ONCE. I almost forgot. I was so confused on which day is actually Fathers day, but I figured it out. ;) Anyway, yesterday was great. After church we went to a members home for lunch. It was super awkward. One of those meals where you just stare at each other and don't know what to say. Elder Tew and I would try to start conversations, but it was very short lived. One or two word answers were all we could get. We did however enjoy a nice conversation about pears. They have two pear trees that are overwhelmed with pears. A few branches have even fallen off. They told us about how they take care of them, harvest them and what they do with them. We even got some dried pears, yum. However, other than pears, it was a slow afternoon. I had to give the thought. It was terrible. Again, one or two word answers don't give you much room to testify. After lunch we went to visit a few people on our list. Members, referrals, investigators. No one was home, so we went to the last person on our list, the Hoods. Now remember, I barely remembered that it was Fathers day. We drove up to their home and saw the cars parked in the driveway. They were home. We went to the door and knocked. Brother Hood came to the door, looking very cheerfully and invited us in. "Want to stay for dinner? I just got done cooking." We didn't want to impose on them, but we did want to stay. So we asked if we could work for it. "No," was Sister Hoods reply. "We have everyone bringing things, so everything is done." Everyone? She then went down the list of everyone who was coming to their home. 4 of their children and significant other (not all were married) were coming. Then Elder Tew and I realized what today was. Fathers Day. We had just walked in on their Fathers day dinner. At first we felt really bad and were about to turn away, but they insisted and so we tried to work for it somehow. They wouldn't give us anything to do, so I just made myself comfortable and started to talk to people. It was a really nice night and Brother Hood said that he would be our Father for the day. Just a 'Proxy' dad, don't worry. ;) Brother Hood did get a really nice looking smoker for his birthday with some flavored wood chips to go with it. I really really want a smoker when I go home. I'm going to ask Brother Hood to teach me and I'm going to take notes.
We met a really cool woman this week. Her name is Angel. We went over to Sis Simmons to teach her on Thursday. If you don't remember, Sis Simmions is the crazy member of the ward. Anywho, we went over to her home and Angel was there too. She was Sis Simmons cousin and had had some hard times lately. She was looking for a church and Sis Simmons brought her in. We started to teach about the Book of Mormon and the blessings that comes from it. Angel was doing great and Sis Simmons was herself, unpredictable. The conversation started to turn towards finding truth, having the Holy Ghost and becoming part of the church. Sounds like a great time for a baptism scripture, right. I thought so. I read Mosiah 18 and asked for thoughts and feelings. Sis Simmons said something, I don't remember, and Angel said something on prayer. Not exactly baptism, but we went with it and promised her that if she read from the Book of Mormon she would find peace and power. We left Sis Simmons home with a time to come back next Tuesday to meet with her and Angel again. Well on Friday we got a call from Sis Simmons. She talked with us and explained to us that Angel wanted to get baptized!! Crazy. I didn't think she had a thought about baptism at all, but I was wrong. I love being wrong. Angel came from an unknown source and especially crazy coming from Sis Simmons. However, the Lord knows his Sheep and who he has prepared. If Angel is prepared, I need to be prepared to teach her. The Lord works in Mysterious ways. This week has been awesome.
We got President Summerhays' last e-mail today. Next week we will be sending our e-mail to President Jensen. The Transition is Here!!
Happy Fathers Day to All!! I love you Dad.
Love Elder Call

No comments:

Post a Comment