Elder Call

Elder Call
Off to the MTC

Monday, June 28, 2010

Five White Guys...Kristen's birthday

Hello Everyone,

President and Sister Jensen arrive at 5 pm today, President and Sister Summerhays leave Tuesday morning, we have a "Meet President and Sister Jensen" Zone Conference on Wednesday and Kristen's Birthday on Thursday. ;) Its going to be a busy week. Last night we had a Mission Wide Conference call as we all finished the Book of Mormon with President and Sister Summerhays. Some missionaries were asked to share their testimony, then another Missionary was invited to pray for us as we committed to read the Book of Mormon, not for our mission, but for the rest of our lives. It was really cool. I finished the Book of Mormon on Thursday, knelt down and prayed, and felt an overwhelming feeling of comfort. I love the Book of Mormon. This next time as I read I'm going to mark the Book of Mormon when Fathers and Sons speak to or about each other. The First three chapters are filled with Lehi and Nephi talking to and about each other. Lehi also talks to his sons Lamen and Lemuel. Lehi is a great Father example. I'm going to learn a lot about and from you Dad over the next couple of months. Our ward here in Tallahassee is changing. Lots of people are moving. Tallahassee is known for two things, State Capital and College. Most of the members in our ward are Graduate students. So when they finish, they move. There are a lot of families moving, some have already moved. Our Bishopric has been changed already. There are also new families moving in. Two from Idaho are already here. Tallahassee is crazy, so many changed happen each semester. The town grows and shrinks every season. Fall, Spring and Summer. They don't have a winter. So here we go again, another summer in Tallahassee.
This last Saturday was pretty cool, except I rolled my ankle. We were at the park again playing basketball with the guys who are there. Elder Tew, Elder Shumway and Elder Marshall were with me. We got there and there were only a few others there, but enough to make two teams. We shot for captains. A guy named Jack made it and Elder Marshall made it. Well they picked their teams, by the time they were done, it was 5 white guys verse 5 black guys. The four Elders and Jenkins. He's a really tall white guy. Anyway, we played three different games. It was so hot. About 97 degrees, plus 15 degrees in direct sunlight, plus the humidity factor, plus playing on a blacktop court. All of that equals really hot. We were soaked and I was wearing the BYU shirt Kristen gave me. After two games we had won both of them. Yes, the 4 white boys from out west and one from the east were beating the 5 black guys from 'the Hood'. Or at least they claimed it. ;) The last game was the coolest. That's where I rolled my ankle. It hurt, but I walked it off, didn't keep playing (just for you mom), and have been watching it closely (Its wrapped right now). So I was out, Luckily there was a sub to take my spot. Still 5 white vs 5 black. My team went on a run and came from behind to win. Elder Tew sealed the deal with his little jump shot from the corner. It was great, really it was just another backyard game, but it led to some great conversations. Because they lost they started talking and it started to get focused on us, the young white guys. They told us how they admired our determination to do that which was right. How we stay clean, but still are able to come down to their level to be with them. We are not to good for them. That's what I like and what I love. Being there for somebody, yet I can still keep my standards and covenants. Hate the sin love the sinner. They're not the best men, the most clean or gentlemen-like. They drink, they smoke, they chase after unrighteous things, but they are still men. Deserving our attention and love. I love them and I love basketball.
I'm learning so many things. The biggest is how to love people. Its great!! Talking to everyone because they deserve it just as much as the next person. Loving everyone and showing it because they're children of God too. Learning not to tolerate sin or temptation, but loving and seeing the best in everyone. I'm not at all good at it yet, but playing basketball as given me a start. I'm learning how to develop people. Its the best thing in the world to learn.
I love you all. Especially Kristen. Mostly because you're turning 19!! You're old. I'm Older, but younger in Maturity, so, you're Older.
Love Elder Call.

No comments:

Post a Comment