Elder Call

Elder Call
Off to the MTC

Monday, March 22, 2010

Tithing lesson-Special Oplmpics

Hey Everyone,

Thanks you for the Birthday package. I failed to mention it last week. I loved all the ties. There were so many and so many different styles. I love it. I also liked the BYU shirt. Thanks Kristen. I wore it when we played basketball on FAMU.
This week has been great. We have had some really good lessons with our investigators. Kevin Davenport is one of them who is so close to baptism. We met with him and his family, he's only 9 yrs old, on Wednesday. We taught them about prayer and tithing. It is so fun to teach little kids. We gave Kevin our cell phone and told him to call his mom. He did and talked to her from across the room. Then we told him to call Heavenly Father. He tried, but was unsuccessful. Then we taught about prayer and how we communicate with Heavenly Father.
Next topic was Tithing. Elder Tew and I went and bought a Big Bag of M&M's. There are four little boys there, so we needed the Big Bag. I opened the bag and gave them each 10 M&M's. We taught them about tithing and how we pay 10%. I asked them to give me their tithing and each of them gave me ALL 10 of their M&M's. I guess I didn't teach it well enough. So we tried again and they each gave me one M&M. We asked why we give 10% and what we get when we do. Elder Tew read 3 Nephi where the windows of Heaven shall be opened. Then, with 8 little hands outstretched, we poured the windows of Heaven into their little hands, completely overwhelming them with M&M's. Can't you imagine their little eyes becoming Big eyes? It was great. Kevin wants to get baptized and we're going to set a BCD with him soon.
On Saturday we had a really cool experience. The Elder Chidester, Elder Rosenlund, Elder Tew and I all went to the Special Olympics for Florida. It was held in Tallahassee at Leon High School. We were volunteers and kept the times for the 50m, 25m, 15m, and 10m walk/run/roll. It was a lot of fun to be with those kids and watch them cross the finish line. We kept score, so they could have awards after, but they didn't care. They were all about the Journey, not the finish. They loved being cheered on and hearing all of the yells as they crossed the finish line. It was a great experience.
It’s been a while since we've had anyone to sacrament meeting. We don't know what else to do for our investigators. They need the blessings, but we can't force them in any way. Its really hard. Phil Baker and his family just moved into a new apartment. They are still in the ward boundaries, but it gave them an excuse to miss church. He hasn't been in a while and I hope he can go sometime soon. He is so close to baptism, he just needs to feel it once again.
I love you all and am constantly praying for you.
Love Elder Call

No comments:

Post a Comment