Elder Call

Elder Call
Off to the MTC

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Roofed a House....

Hello Everyone,

It was a fantastic week. We taught a lot, found a lot, got to rip apart a roof and then build a new one, and Alan Espinoza got the Melchizedek Priesthood. It was great.

Tuesday we drove to Crestview for ZLC. We didn't have any problems on the way or coming back. Good thing because you probably remember me telling you about how we didn't get the van fixed. It was a good day. I got to see my father and grandfather (mission family) at ZLC. I also got to talk to Elder Bond and Elder Merkley. They told me that they had the pleasure of meeting Bro Manwearing!!! Clarks brother is in Niceville and when he went out to see them the missionaries were there. They said you're doing fine and looking good Clark! President Jensen mentioned in our meeting about Elder Pearson coming to our mission. He will be here Sept 12, just before the BYU game. We will be going over a lot of things while we're there. We just got a huge list from President about what were supposed to prepare for.

Elder Thurston and I had a really good week finding people and teaching them. We were out working on Wednesday trying to find some potentials and new investigators. We were walking when a girl called out to us. She asked us if we were teaching Bible lessons. We were, kind of, and she invited us over to her home. It was a couple of blocks away, so we talked with her. She was in social services with a focus on Christianity. She things that only through God can you overcome certain things. I think she's on to something. We talked with her and when we got to her home we pulled out our Book of Mormon's. She got excited and said, "I'll go get mine." She had taken it from a Hotel, but she didn't know much about it. We talked with her for a while and set up another time to come back. She called us later in the week asking to reschedule, but she should be coming to church next week. It was a great lesson and we will bring the FSU sisters with us to the next lesson. While walking to our car from her apartment we ran into another girl, Kristen. She asked us if we go to church next to FSU and what time they started. We told her that it was us and we took her info down. Again, we gave her to the Sister missionaries. Two investigators for the Sisters, oh well, schools back in.

Friday was the ward's annual Southern Spread. "A Potluck on Steroids," as Bro Barabash would say. There were so many new faces there. We have a big hand full of newly weds moving into our ward. Its really weird when the girls are younger than the missionaries, but married with a kid. Its also very weird when you're the missionary serving and teaching them on campus, then they come to your family ward, because they got married. Its weird being a missionary here. Anyway, the southern spread was good and we met with a few new families who were less active. Bro Nathan has invited us to his home. He is the only member in his family, so we're excited to be working with him.

Saturday was long. We went to the Martin's for service. Sis Martin was the one who called home asking for my favorite meal. We ripped apart Bro Martin's roof and re-roofed it. We started at 7:00am. There were 8 missionaries. South, FSU, Spanish and us. We started to rip the roof apart. There was so much mold and rotted wood. We were surprised that the roof held our weight. Well almost. Elder Smith kind of fell through, and Elder Newin did fall through. We had to replace three of the existing beams and rip out all of the add-on's. It was a big project. Elder Smith and I decided to go work on the floor to clean it up a bit. There was so much stuff that had water damage. We through all of it out of the door. It was a nasty job, we found a rat skeleton. We continued to work and put up the new ribs for the roof. I took a lot of pictures. It looks really good. Elder Thurston and I had to leave early to go to a lesson, so I didn't get to see the end where they put all of the plywood down. Next week we're going to put on the metal roofing. More pictures!

Sunday was my favorite day. Our van key died. Not the van, just the key. We have one of those fancy electric ones, but it broke and our van wouldn't accept it. So we called Sister Harber and she gave us a brand new one! It feels like I just got a new car. It feels so good. :) Sunday was our Stake Conference. Since we didn't have to be there until 2 we went to see Sister Simmons and Glen. I'm not sure what to do with them. Sis Simmons really really wants Glen to get baptized and become a member. Glen wants to move to Gaddsen County and work with the Episcopal Church doing Evangelist stuff. I don't know who's going to bend. I really think that Glen should come to church, but at the place he's living he can't and he still has his ankle bracelet on. Its a tough situation, but we like Sis Simmons. Something good will come as long as she stays close to the Gospel. Guess what!! Next week is Fast and Testimony meeting. That means a testimony from Sis Simmons. Maybe I should bear mine too. Just to match it. :)

After our lesson we went to Stake conference. I've been to both Stake conferences in Tallahassee while I've been here. That was most than some! I felt at home being there. I knew almost everyone there and they knew me. I don't know what I'm going to do when I leave Tallahassee. During Stake conference they announced those who would be receiving the Melchizedek Priesthood. Three were from the Singles ward. Alan Espinoza was one of them. It was so cool to be there and watch Alan take the next step. Elder Perkins and I watched as Jared Anderson gave him the Priesthood. After we were talking and realized something. This time last year, at Stake Conference we met Jared and Alan. It was our first meeting and we gave him a Book of Mormon, a month later Alan was baptized and now, yesterday, he received the Melchizedek Priesthood one year later. And Elder Perkins and I were there with him for all of it. Alan is a true friend and will be forever. He is by far one of the greatest people I've ever met. He has the biggest heart, and the desire to serve. I love Alan so much.

That's it for my life on the Mission. I think its so cool that we can transition quickly from one priesthood leader to the next. It was a little rough for me in the beginning with President Jensen, but he has really taken the reins and is ready to go. Me too.

I love you all,
Elder Call

No comments:

Post a Comment