Elder Call

Elder Call
Off to the MTC

Monday, September 21, 2009

Baptism!!!!!

Hello ya'll
This week was Alan's Baptism. It was the most crazy week, but at the same time the most spiritual week on my mission. We have been working with Heath and Hilary too trying to get them to see and recognize the light.
Transfers were on Wednesday and most companionships changed. Elder Davis got another boy, Elder Barney. Elder O'Niones got a new companion Elder Newsome. Perkins and I are still together. The Sisters got a whole new cast. Only one of the three stayed and only one came in. There are now only two of them. So with all the changes going around we get to learn about more people. I like change, it makes life interesting.
There have been a couple rain storms that have just come out of nowhere this week. We were teaching Heath when we heard this loud rumbling sound. We looked outside and it was pouring. There was so much water coming down it was intense. We went outside for a little bit to watch it. Just walking through it you would get soaked. You could jump in a pool and be more dry than you would walking through the rain.
Well we have continued to teach Heath and Hilary has finally found a break in her schedule to start meeting with us again. On Friday we had a lesson with her. The FSU Elders were there along with their investigator Katie. She is getting baptized on Nov. 14th. We asked Hilary what her concerns are about the church and about baptism. She had two big concerns. First was her family. She wasn't sure if she could leave her family. She loves coming to church, but she was raised Methodist. She thinks she would be leaving her family and all those who are in her church. Katie shared with her that those people will always be there for her. She will always have her family and her church. Hilary's other concern was the good feeling. Was it the people or the spirit. She's not sure if she's doing it for the right reason. Is it the people, the friends she's made, that are the real reason she's coming. Or is it the spirit and the good feeling that comes from the church, book of Mormon, etc. We discussed with her the spirit and the feelings that come from the spirit. Then Katie shared with Hilary her experience about prayer. How at first she did it just because she knew the Elders would ask her. Then one night she prayed and truly asked. She got down on her knees and asked with her whole heart. Then she received her answer. It was a good lesson. Hilary came to Alan's Baptism and to Church. We're meeting with her on Tuesday. That lesson was awesome, but that day was the Black Hole of my week. For some reason I could not feel the spirit at all. It was missing. I tried to teach Hilary but nothing was coming to mind. A complete stupor of thought. I've been having a hard time this weekend trying to figure out if it was because of something I did, or because it wasn't my turn to talk. That it was my turn to listen. I'm not sure which one it is yet.
The next day was great though. Alan's baptism. It seemed like the whole ward was there. Well almost. A couple flew out to Provo to watch BYU lose. ;) It was such a great experience. Alan came out of the water with the biggest smile I've ever seen. Then while he was getting dressed we had a testimony meeting. At the end we had Alan give his testimony. I can't tell you all the things he said, but the spirit that was there was amazing. Alan is the coolest kid ever!!
Ok, Friday and Saturday are over. Saturday was good, but it wasn't as good as Sunday. We have all our regular meetings, then sitting in Elders quorum Heath comes up to me and says, 'I have a story.' I got really excited and he told me. He had been invited to a party that he had been blowing off for some time. Finally he gave in and went to the party. It was at a ranch or farm and he was trying to scare a girl, when he tripped on a wire, fell, and bruised his knee and hand. He took that as advice to leave. He comes to find out that the kids who were there were drinking, smoking and all underage. He saw this as the Holy Ghost. Witnessing to him that he needed to leave before something happened. I thought this was the coolest story ever. I asked about how he felt and he said, 'We'll see if I get my answer today.' Well now I'm really excited. I taught Sunday school, I had thirty seconds to prepare because Mike Long did not show up or get a sub. Then we had sacrament meeting. Said hi to all the people I needed too and we went into a room to have a lesson with Heath. I asked him again. He went on about how he got his answer. It’s an amazing story. He came to Alan's baptism and while I was giving the talk on the Holy Ghost he felt like he wanted to yell out. The spirit was so strong he just wanted to yell. The next day in sacrament meeting he wasn't paying attention, neither was I, but he got a prompting to listen to the speaker. Well, at that exact time he listened the speaker was speaking on repentance. He felt that strengthened his answer as well. I know I'm missing a lot of details, but Heath is getting Baptized on Oct 24th. It’s been on crazy weekend. All the football teams lose, and all the spiritual highs come in. I love it, sorry to all the BYU fans. It was a good season.
;)ha-ha
I love you all and I'm praying for you too.
Elder Call

No comments:

Post a Comment