Elder Call

Elder Call
Off to the MTC

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Prayer is working

Hi Everyone,

Well we have some exciting news, and some boring news. The boring news is that I'm e-mailing you today. Elder Bell and I have everything all planned for Monday and Tuesday when we got a text from our District Leader that we should be taking P-Day on Tuesday instead of Monday. That would be fine, but our Tuesday is completely full. We are taking this time to e-mail, when we would have had District Meeting. Then later today we have about 5 different lessons and people we need to visit. We have become very busy in Niceville as of late. It has been fantastic.
Yesterday we got some really exciting news, but before I give it to you I'd better explain what is going on. We have been working with the Chabots for what seems like forever. Ever since I got here in October I have been teaching and working with the Chabots. Last Sunday Seth went the the Fireside with us and was taken home by a priesthood adviser. That was huge for us and for Seth. He has been having trust issues and we have been slowly helping break them down so he can trust us and others. The younger boys, Zack and Matt are fantastic and love their teachers and leaders. Alisha is the hard one. Mostly because she has no one to really talk too. I can't do it because I'm impatient and I'm a missionary. Feelings shared always results in bad experiences. So naturally as a missionary I just smile and wave. We have been trying to turn her to the scriptures, but we're as bad as her mom she says. We have been trying to turn her to the young women's leaders, but there hasn't been a connection, until now.
Sis Hendricks was called to be the new young women's president last week and everything has changed because of it. Sis Hendricks will go WAAAAAAY out of her way to make everyone feel welcomed and loved. She has all of the young women's phone numbers and text's them constantly, but appropriately too. (not during church, or school) She has come to a lesson with us at the Chabots and just dived in asking questions and getting to know them better. At first Alisha was hesitant with Sis Hendricks, but she got used to her quickly. The youth were preparing to go on a temple trip to Alabama this last weekend. Oh how I wish I could have gone, but oh well. Sis Hendricks was working with all of the youth and trying to get the girls to come. To do that Sis Hendricks had a big sleep over with all the Young women. They would be in a fantastic environment and it would be easier to get them to the church by 4:30am, or whenever they were planning on leaving. Well Friday night Alisha texted Sis Hendricks that Kelsey and her were bored. Well, Sis Hendricks invited them to come over to be with all the Young Women. As they were there Sis Hendricks had a great idea. Why don't you girls come with us to the temple? After a few phone calls to the parents and a quick drive over to get some clothes, Alisha and Kelsey were going up to Alabama to go to the temple. While at the temple something interesting happened. Alisha and Kelsey couldn't go into the temple obviously, they waited in the small visitors center. The youth and the leaders went to go do baptisms for the dead. While checking everyone's recommend, Sis Hendricks realized that her's had expired and that she couldn't get a temporary one from bishop. Bishop Walker turned to her as tears filled her eyes and said, "There are no such things and coincidences. There are two young women who can't be here right now who need your help." Sis Hendricks spent the rest of the time with Alisha and Kelsey. Talking with them and building the relationship that they needed that I couldn't provide.
After we found out about the awesome temple trip we went to visit the Chabots on Sunday. Elder Bell was distracting the boys while I talked to Alisha and then the Sis Chabot. Both promised that they would talk about being baptized with each other and Sis Chabot with the boys too. Well yesterday while we were out working we got a call from Sis Chabot. She asked to talk to me and then said that I would be really happy about what she had to say. She told me that Alisha wants to get baptized in two weeks, and that she wants me to perform the baptism. Once I heard her say that I shouted for joy. I was so happy I felt like nothing could tear me down.
I am so thankful for all the prayers that have been said in my behalf and in their's too. I felt as if my rope had ran short with the Chabots. I didn't know what else to do. However, I am grateful that other people have stepped up here in the ward and I'm so grateful for the prayers to my heavenly father. Without him there is no way that Alisha would have listened to me or to anyone else. That I know, but her heart has been softened and I have been given another chance to prepare them for the blessings of the gospel. I love it.
This church is true and peace and happiness is promised to those who find it. Stress and great anxiety is promised to those who work in the vineyard. haha. It's true, but it's worth every minute of it.
Elder Call

No comments:

Post a Comment