Elder Call

Elder Call
Off to the MTC

Monday, November 8, 2010

strange things......

Hey Ya'll,

Well we just got some really interesting news. Elder Merkley and Elder Nestor are both leaving me. I am staying in Niceville, but I'll be training a newb. I'm no longer Zone Leader either. That means I may get the chance to ditch the Van!! It'll be a big change. There are a bunch of other Zone Leaders who will be training too. I guess President needs a good generation raised up in the mission. Or something like that.

Its been real good in Niceville. Elder Merkley found out that he was leaving earlier last week. So he has had sometime to say goodbye to everyone. We went to a few people's homes and let them know. the Coopers, the Chabots, the Manwarings, the Youngs, and others. Now with Elder Nestor going too, we may need to visit more people.

Ok, I was thinking of what I should write about. Something that will help ya'll spiritually. Yeah, I think I found it. This sunday was Fast and Testimony meeting. Ya'll know because it was the same for you. However, I bet that ours was drastically different. I mean like 30 min over different. The Bishop got up and conducted the meeting. When it was time for him to bear his testimony he bore a short one, but he also invited one sister to bare her testimony. She had been ill and was recovering, the fact that she was at church was a miracle. She bore a beautiful testimony. Then the party started and it started. The next women who got up had a missionary out on a mission. (the only one from the ward) I'm sure she meant well, but I don't know what her testimony was. She brought a few letters that her son had written to her. Then, over the pulpit, read them for about 10-15 minutes. I know that you mothers love to show us to everyone, but I hope you don't do that mom. In fact, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't. You would have given a beautiful testimony. However, this lady just read and read. Then came the Bishop's daughter in law. She went on a 20 min story, it was so long that I don't even remember what she was saying. Something about a blade being hit by a hammer and going into someones finger. The next person was a two small brothers. Cute, right? Well, twenty minutes of who knows what wasn't cute. They were deffinately brave for going up, and their choice of words was well beyond their age, but I don't remember what their testimony was about. Jay, a ward missionary, was next. He told a story about how he ran a marathon and was beat by a fairly large man. There were two more people behind Jay. At this point there was no time left, Elder Nestor had convinced a member to go bear her testimony with him, after a while they came back because there was not enough time. The other two finished their testimonies (if they even gave one) and then sat down. The bishop got up, and I was expecting him to say, 'we'll only sing one verse,' instead he said, 'Will Elder Nestor and Sis Peart come back up and give their testimonies?' Now I love our bishop, but I remember when I was young and a High Council member took too much time during sacrament. I remember how irritated mom was because of the lost time, and the loss of the children's attention. I could just imagine the pain on the mothers faces as Bishop said those words. It was already 15 past the hour, and two more people had been asked to talk. They both gave short testimonies.

Moral of the story. When bearing testimony, BEAR TESTIMONY. Lengthy stories are not for church. Neither are Joe Somebody's adventures around the block. I know that experinces change us, but its the holy ghost that gives us the testimony. Not the experience. Testify of what you know, what you feel, what you believe. Shate with us what you learned from the scriptures what you learned from the spirit. Give a testimony that will touch those listening. Too many times we are trying to impress people with things that will not impress them. When giving a testimony, where ever you are. Bear a short one, but one that you know to be true. Every Apostle bears testimony at the end. Their testimony is much, much shorter than their stories, but its also more powerful. They know that Jesus Christ lives and thats what they share.

That's what I learned this week. I was really grateful to talk to Clark. I'm sorry I kept it short and that you didn't get to hear it, but I know that it meant it a lot to Clark and to me.

I love you all and I'm glad for my mother who knew.
Love Elder Call

No comments:

Post a Comment