Elder Call

Elder Call
Off to the MTC

Monday, August 9, 2010

Wild Week

Hey Everyone,

This week has been crazy. Most of the stories comes from Sis Simmons. So much to tell, so little time. JK ;)

I went on a trade-off with Elder Wardle this week. He has only been in the field for 3 weeks. Naturally he had a lot of questions. We went to their District meeting on campus, then we took off for Sis Simmons. Glen was there and we had a great discussion with them. Afterwards we watch the Restoration. We thought that it would give Glen a perspective on the beginnings of the church. Well, it did the opposite. Glen didn't like the movie because of all the white people. "Why can't there be any black people?" He would ask. Since Elder Faalogo was gone, nothing we could say would help the issue, because we are white. He also told us that he doesn't like to watch any videos about Jesus Christ because they are all Jews. "Why can't they throw in a Chinese person or someone?" It was really sad, because Glen is such a smart guy, but he couldn't get over the fact that there were no blacks in the movie. It was really sad.

We took off to go see the Hoods, who are doing great, then went back an hour later to eat dinner at Sis Simmons. I can now say that I have had true southern food. No more of this spaghetti and pizza and other Mormon foods. We had mac'n'cheese, collard greens, baked beans, chicken and corn bread. My plate was full of stuff as Sis Simmons handed it to me. Wow. The mac'n'cheese was alright. The collard greens were more sour than a pickle in lemon juice. The baked beans had something in it that I couldn't recognize. I think the chicken was undercooked. Last of all, the corn bread. It was actually the best corn bread I've ever tasted! I'm serious! It was delicious and I would not mind eating that again. However it was a night that I wouldn't mind not re-living again.

The next day Elder Wardle and I went to the Ronald McDonald house for service, then we drove out to President Campbell's house for more service. We gave Sis Campbell some cookies to thank her for driving Sis Simmons to church each week. After shoveling some bark for President Campbell we went to see Rachel Crowley. Do you guys remember Rachel? She was the first baptism I was able to participate in. She lives just around the block from President Campbell, so we went by to say hi. She is doing great. She has had a rough year, but is doing and looking much better. Elder Wardle and I then went to find and teach a few people. We were planning on trading back that night at the church to play ultimate Frisbee with the singles ward. We got there and only Marcus Jones was there. (BTW: Marcus' brother is the guy on the New Spice commercial that BYU put out. The one about going to the Library. Haha, very funny)

Thursday and Friday went by fast. On Friday we helped a family move. We got a call from Crestview saying that a family needed help. They weren't members, but they had family who was. So we accepted the call to help them. We showed up at their apartment to find that it was two college girls and their mother. Oh goodie (said/written very sarcastically). We had to move all of their stuff into a truck, then come back 4 hours later to move it from the truck into their new apartment. We invited them to come to the BYU Fireside on the 17th of Sept. They said they might come with their cousin, who is a big BYU fan. As we were leaving one of the girls mentioned that Sorority Week was coming soon. I remember last years, and I can't believe that I'll be here for another one.

Saturday, the best day of the week. First we helped Bro Bingham move out of his house in Tallahassee to his new home in Quincy. Well before we knew it we were past Quincy and in Greensboro at his In-Laws house 45 min away from Tallahassee. Yeah, long morning. Afternoon came fast though, mostly in anticipation for Sis Simmons birthday party. She turned 50 years old on Saturday! Hooray! We had a nice little testimony meeting. Everyone was given a chance to share. Then we ate. Yes, that meant that Tuesday was repeating itself. I was eating at Sis Simmons yet again. I did get a chance to talk with Sis Williams, Sis Simmons mother. She said that she would like to meet with us and that she hasn't been able to put the Book of Mormon down. Reading until 2 and 3 in the morning. I love the Book of Mormon, but I don't think I've ever loved it that much. We are going to keep in close contact with Sis Simmons and her mother, Sis Williams.

Well that was my week. I got a letter from Grandpa Call saying that they are selling the California Beach House. Sad, but I know that won't stop us from going to California, right?

I love you all and I pray that the summer will end soon. School is starting soon, transfers are next week, and BYU is on their way to Florida.

Love Elder Call

No comments:

Post a Comment